People often hear the term “medical marijuana card,” and this phrase’s clinical nature tends to make them believe that they cannot access medical marijuana. This is not always true. Oklahoma has more medical marijuana access than people realize.

The state is now closer to legalizing marijuana for general use. However, many questions are being raised in Oklahoma about how and who can access it, the eligibility requirements, and whether a medical marijuana card is a right option for them.

What Is A Medical Marijuana Certificate?

Oklahoma residents need a medical marijuana card to access marijuana legally. These cards are also known by the names MMID (medical marijuana identification) and cannabis cards.

The state issues medical marijuana cards. They include a photo and allow the holder to:

  • Buy Marijuana
  • At their homes, they grow marijuana
  • Legally possess marijuana
  • Use medical cannabis delivery services
  • Legally smoke marijuana

To be issued medical marijuana cards, you will need to provide collateral.

  • Requirements for eligibility
  • Approval of a state application
  • Paid fees
  • A physician recommendation

Who Is Eligible To Receive An Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Card?

Any Oklahoma resident over 18 can apply for a medical cannabis card. To be approved by the state, however, there are some requirements. These include:

  • Proof of identity from Oklahoma is required, which includes a driver’s license or state ID card.
  • You must be able to prove that Oklahoma is your residence.
  • A qualified physician must evaluate you and determine if medical marijuana suits you.
  • Register as a patient at the Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority and apply for an Oklahoma medical marijuana card.
  • A $100 application fee is required. You may be eligible to receive reduced fees if you are a Medicare recipient or Medicaid beneficiary.
  • Additional requirements apply: Minors must have a designated caregiver for marijuana.

Benefits Of Being A Medical Marijuana Cardholder

Possession Of Marijuana

Oklahoma law prohibits you from possessing any marijuana without a medical marijuana card. Even if you have a medical marijuana card in Oklahoma, there are restrictions on how much cannabis can be kept on your person and in your home.

Oklahoma MMJ cardholders have the following possession limits in their home:

  • Maximum 3 oz. You can carry up to 3 oz.
  • Only three oz. can be sold in dispensaries. One ounce of marijuana. One ounce of cannabis concentrate and 72 ounces of edible products.
  • They can keep up to eight ounces of marijuana in their home
  • Concentrated marijuana up to 1 ounce
  • You can buy up to 72 ounces of edible marijuana

Growing Marijuana

The Oklahoma medical marijuana cardholder is limited in the amount of cannabis they can grow at once. This is similar to the rules regarding possession. A cardholder can have six cannabis seedlings and six mature plants. This is unless they are licensed to grow cannabis commercially.

Access For Those Below The Age Of 18

The usual age limit to obtain marijuana in recreational states is 21. However, there is no age limit for physician-recommended medical marijuana use in Oklahoma. Children can use Marijuana products to treat a variety of conditions. To obtain medical marijuana card, you must be at least 18 years old. Children need a caregiver to purchase the products and oversee their use.

Marijuana Access With Higher Components

Certain components of recreational marijuana are restricted in some states that have legalized it. Oklahoma allows you to access marijuana with a higher concentration for pain relief or other ailments. This allows you to buy less cannabis and get a better result. To be sold in dispensaries, cannabis must have been tested by a licensed laboratory. You will be able to browse the lab results before you shop.

Greater Legal Protection

Legalizing marijuana with a medical marijuana card will give you greater protection if you are a smoker. There are no legal consequences for using and benefiting from marijuana. You are also protected from civil problems.